Thursday, September 8, 2016

Number Please...

Number Please...

Number Please...

“I’m taking a selfie of me and my bestie and posting it to Instagram, Twitter and Facebook!”
“You used to call me on my cell phone”
“Six callers ahead of us, Jimmy.”
“Can you hear me now?”
“E.T. phone home.”
“Operator, uh can you help me with this call?”
“And the operator says 40 cents more, for the next 3 minutes, Please Mrs. Avery!”
“One ringy, dingy”
“Number Please...”
On a hot summer day in 1937, 2 beautiful girls adorned in light summer dresses and heels would arrive on Court Street in Prestonsburg to begin their shift for Ma Bell. They would walk up the stairs beside Rose’s Drug Store to the switchboard, the heart of the local phone service and relieve from duty the night shift operator. As the country made the changes from telegraph to telephone, an interesting observation was noted. Historically boys were used for telegraph delivery for their foot speed, but it was soon noticed that men lacked the patience needed to switch calls and their behavior at the switchboard was undesired and crude. So early on women were sought after to become telephone operators. In 1937, Jean Burke was one of those beautiful phone operators and the Prestonsburg exchange of Southern Bell had six of them. And so their long day of interacting with folks from near and far began. “We got 25 cents an hour, I got pretty close to 40 dollars every 2 weeks. I got a beaver coat and I thought I was the fanciest thing ever was. From Spiegel catalog I ordered a bedroom suite and kept it for years.” Jean proudly exclaimed.
“Number please...” Jean and the other operators would answer each call. “Can you call me at 10 o’clock so I can feed my baby?”, a young woman asked one early morning. Jean politely replied, “I’m very busy this morning.” And so the young mother had to seek help elsewhere. “What time does the movie start and what’s playing?”, Jean laughed as she told me that they answered many calls each day such as this. Each operator had a list of numbers and names but since the exchange only had about 200 phones, they rarely had to look a number up. The tricky part was that they had to know all the names of the members of a household, even the children and sometimes even the family dog. And as almost every phone belonged to a party line, operators had to check the ring pattern for each phone. “Some people had two or three short rings and then a long ring, everybody’s was different so the households knew which family should pick up. “Don’t tell, but when we were not busy, we heard some interesting conversations and all for 25 cents an hour!”
Dr. John Archer had his office right across the street, above where Burchett’s Jewelry store was located later. Jean explained, “If a patient needed him and he didn’t answer, often we would look out the window and see him standing on Court Street talking to somebody, so we would holler ‘Dr. John, you got a call!’ and then he would go upstairs and we would hook him up.”
Two operators worked the busy day shift and only one worked the overnight shift. “We had a cot to sleep on during the overnight shift because you would only get one or two calls at night. I was working night shift one night and a call came in and it was from my house. I was afraid something was wrong with mom or dad and I answered and it was the doctor. He had been out on a call and he stopped at my parent’s house, woke them up, used their phone to call and wake me up for me to call and wake his wife up. He wanted to see if he had other emergency calls to tend to before coming home. She told him to come home, you fool!”
Naturally pay phones were on every street corner, in every restaurant and the latest craze. A caller could place a local call for a nickel, a dime or a quarter and receive the number of minutes that coin could buy at the time. The operators had to listen to the sound that each coin made when it hit the tube to determine how much money the caller had deposited. Then the operator had to watch the time manually and interrupt the caller to ask for more coins when they reached their time limit.
In September 1941, dial phones were installed and the last girls to inquire, “Number please” were retired from their duty. Jean used her savings to visit a favorite aunt in Chicago for a few weeks. She elevated in an elevator at Marshall Fields and bought some new clothes and shoes. Jean arrived back home on a Friday in early December 1941 and was listening to the radio that fateful Sunday morning with her family as the first Pearl Harbor reports were aired. The last operators at the Prestonsburg exchange were: supervisor Minnie Hale, Fern Hale, Toots Parsley, Ruth Crabtree, Orb Vaughn and Jean Herald (Burke). As Jean honestly exclaims, “My how times have changed!”


No comments:

Post a Comment